New Zealand Tourism Research InstituteFaculty of Health and Environmental SciencesAuckland University of TechnologyAuckland 1020New ZealandPhone: (+649) 917 9999e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Geoff Dickson joined the Division of Sport and Recreation at AUT in January 2004. He is the stream leader for sport management and the Division's Head of Research. Prior to this he spent 7 years at Central Queensland University. He has a PHD from the School of Marketing and Management at Griffith University (Australia).
Within the sport management domain, his research interests include mergers, joint ventures, relocations, and expansion within sporting leagues, competitive balance and outcome uncertainty, work-life balance for elite and professional athletes and the impact of professional competitions on non-elite competitions.
From a sport marketing standpoint, he is interested in the sponsorship strategies of social marketing organisations, ambush marketing and the "Ironman" brand. His interest in sport tourism extends to the economic impact of sporting events and the effective coordination of organisations required to engage in large scale sports tourism.
Bachelor of Arts (Recreation Management), Griffith University,1988-1990
- Bachelor of Arts (Leisure Management) (Honours), 1994
- Doctor of Philosophy, Griffith University, 2002
- Consultancies and advisory work
- 2009 Maori Expo - Attendee perceptions and behavioral intentions
- 2009 Lake Taupo District Council - Economic impact of Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge NZ
- 2008 Sport and Recreation NZ (SPARC) - The contribution of event training and event experience to long-term volunteerism
- 2008 Sport and Recreation NZ (SPARC) - Participation events and sustained, increased physical activity
- 2008 ERUPT Lake Taupo Festival - Economic impact and service quality perceptions
- 2008 Auckland City Council - Auckland Pasifika Festival: audience & stallholder survey
- 2007 Sport and Recreation NZ Research priorities for NZ sporting events
- 2007 Sport and Recreation NZ - Value of Sport annotated bibliography
- 2007 Sport and Recreation NZ - National Identity annotated bibliography
- 2007 Rally NZ - Economic impact and sponsorship intentions
- 2007 Auckland City Council - Pasifika Festival: audience and stallholder survey
- 2006 Lake Taupo District Council - Economic and social impact of ironman NZ
- 2006 Destination Queenstown - Economic impact of Queenstown Winter Festival
- 2005 Wanganui Blooming Artz Festival Economic impact study
- 2005 Manukau City Council -Economic impact of Sir Barry Curtis 10K Classic
- Refereed Journal ArticlesBuch, T., Milne, S., & Dickson, G. (2011) Multiple Stakeholder perspectives on Cultural Events: Auckland's Pasifika Festival. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 20(3), *-*.Dickson, G. (2005). Active thinking. Youth Studies Australia, 24(1), 9.Dickson, G. (2007). Tony Hawk. Berkshire Encyclopedia of Extreme Sport, 123.Dickson, G. (2007) Rodney Mullen. Berkshire Encyclopedia of Extreme Sport, 214.Dickson, G. (2008). NASCAR’s next lap. International Journal of Sport Marketing and Sponsorship, 9(3), 157.Dickson, G., Arnold, T., & Chalip, L. (2005). League expansion and interorganisational power. Sport Management Review, 8(2), 145-165.Dickson, G. & Cousens, L. (2008). Introduction. Sport Organisations and Interorganisational Relationships. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 3(3), 163-166.Dickson, G., Griggs, H. & Schofield, G. (2003). Ironman vs AnemiaMan – A test of mettle. Bulletin of Sport and Culture, June, 2-6.Dickson, G., Phelps, S., & Waugh, D. (2010). Multi-level governance in an international strategic alliance: The Plight of the Phoenix and the Asian football market. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 22(1), 111-124.Dickson, G., & Schofield, G. (2005). Globalisation and Globesity: The impact of the 2008 Beijing Olympics on China. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 1, 169-179.Dickson, G., & Schofield, G. (2003). Performance changes by triathletes competing in their second successive ultra distance triathlon. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 6, 526. (Abstract only)Dickson, G., & Schofield, G. (2004). The 2008 Olympics: Physical activity and obesity implications for China. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 7 (Suppl. 4), 54.Dickson, G., Schofield, G., & Badland, H. (2006). Highway robbery or a sustainable solution: Community reaction to the Auckland Road Pricing Evaluation Study. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 9 (Supplement)(6), 34.Heere, B., & Dickson, G. (2008) Measuring attitudinal loyalty: Separating the terms of affective commitment and attitudinal loyalty. Journal of Sport Management, 22, 227-239.Phelps, S., & Dickson, G. (2009) Symbolic isomorphism: The New Zealand Ice Blacks and Ice Ferns. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 5(1-2), 90-100.Schofield, G., Gianotti, S., Hinckson, E., Badland, H., & Dickson, G. (2006). Travelling to and from school. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 9 (Supplement)(6), 9.Schofield, G., Mummery, W.K., Wang, W., & Dickson, G. (2004). An epidemiological study of gambling in the non-metropolitan region of Central Queensland. Australian Journal of Rural Health, 12(1), 6-10.Schofield, G., Schofield, L., Dickson, G., & Croteau, K. (2005). Sloth or gluttony: Understanding obesity in New Zealand youth. Youth Studies Australia, 24(1), 28-30.Smith, A., Stewart, B., Oliver-Bennetts, S., McDonald, S., Ingerson, L., Anderson, A., Dickson, G., Emery, P., & Graetz, F. (in press) Contextual influences and athlete attitudes to drugs in sport. Sport Management Review.Stewart, B., Nicholson, M., & Dickson, G. (2005). The Australian Football League’s structure and conduct: A critical review. Sport Management Review 8(2), 95-117.Stewart, B., Dickson, G., & Smith, A. (2008). Drug Use in the Australian Football League: A Critical Survey. Sporting Traditions, May, 25(1), 55-74.Chapters in booksAbt, G.A., Dickson, G. and Mummery, W.K. (2002). Goal scoring patterns over the course of a match: an analysis of the Australian National Soccer League. In W. Spinks, T. Reilly & A. Murphy (Eds.), Science and Football IV (pp. 106-111). London: F.N. Spon.Cousens, L., Barnes, M., & Dickson, G. (2008). Facilitating Event Management Using a Network Perspective. In C. Mallen & L. Adams (Eds.), Sport, recreation and tourism event management: Theoretical and practical dimensions (pp. 42-52). Burlington, MA: Butterworth-Heinemann/Elsevier.Dickson, G., & Milne, S. (2008) Measuring the impact of micro-events on local communities: A role for web-based approaches. In J. Ali-Knight, M. Robertson, A. Fyall, & A. Ladkin, (Eds.) (pp. 253-263). International Perspectives of Festivals and Events - Paradigms of Analysis. London: Elsevier.Dickson, G & Phelps, S. (2008). Who Could Wish For More? New Zealand’s Coast to Coast Multisport Event. In S.Chadwick and D. Arthur (Eds). International Cases in the Business of Sport (pp. 90-100). London: Elsevier.Dickson, G. & Stewart, B. (2007). Crystal-ball gazing: The future of football. In B. Stewart (Ed.). The Games are not the Same: The Political Economy of Football in Australia (pp. 332-348). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.Dickson, G., O’Brien, D., & Cousens, L. (2005). Warming the bench: Pacific Island Rugby and entry into an expanded SANZAR competition. In R. Hess, B. Stewart, & M. Nicholson (Eds.), Football Fever: Crossing Boundaries (pp. 63-71). Melbourne: Maribyrnong Press.Stewart, B. & Dickson, G. (2007). Crossing the Barassi Line: The rise and rise of Australian Football. In B. Stewart (Ed.). The Games are not the Same: The Political Economy of Football in Australia (pp. 71-113). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.Conference papers (Full paper and refereed)Buch, T., Milne, S., & Dickson, G. (2008). Multiple stakeholder perspectives on cultural events: Auckland’s Pasifika Festival. In A. AktaÅŸ, E. Wickens, M. Kesgin, E. Cengiz, & E. Yenialp (Eds.), Cultural and Event Tourism: Issues and Debates, Proceedings of the International Tourism Conference 2008 held in Alanya, Turkey 5-9 November (pp. 139-157). Alanya, Turkey: Akdeniz University Alanya Faculty of Business.Caperchione, C., & Dickson, G. (2003). The social ideology of hegemonic masculinity: Analysing the relationship between hegemony, masculinity and sport. Women in Research Conference. Central Queensland University, Rockhampton (CD-ROM, Full Paper)Dickson, G (1996). 'By how far’: Methodological issues for evenness of competition and uncertainty of outcome. pp. 133-148. Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand Conference, Southern Cross University, Lismore.Dickson, G (1996). ‘You can’t always get what you want’: An interorganisational analysis of national leagues and consortiums seeking to acquire an expansion franchise. pp 115-132. Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand Conference, Southern Cross University, Lismore.Dickson, G., Bradbury, T., & Sawyer, L. (2003).Gender differences in the authorship of sport management and sport marketing research. Women in Research Conference. Central Queensland University, Rockhampton. (CD-ROM, Full paper).Dickson, G., Griggs, H. & Schofield, G. (2005). Ironman’s dominance of the Australian and New Zealand long course triathlon market. pp. 218-230. In The Impacts of Events: Triple Bottom Line Evaluation and Event Legacies, Australian Centre for Event Management, University of Technology Sydney. (Full paper)Dickson, G., Mummery, K., Arnold, T., Coutts, A., Godfred-Spenning, C. (1998) A cricketer for the ages: A comparison of test cricket batting performances 1877-1997. 11th Commonwealth and International Scientific Congress, Kuala Lumpur. (Full Paper).Dickson, G., Schofield, G., & Griggs, H. (2005). A lovemark in transition: An examination of Ironman triathlon in Australia and New Zealand. Third International Event Management Conference - The Impacts of Events: Triple Bottom Line Evaluation and Event Legacies, Australian Centre for Event Management, University of Technology Sydney. (Full paper)Dickson, G. & Thwaites, D. (1998). Evenness of Competition and Uncertainty of Outcome: A Critical Review of Triathlon Race Formats. pp. 8.5 - 8.12. in the Proceedings of the 6th Congress of the European Association for Sport Management. Service Quality in Sport.G.Pires, F. Fernandes and N Perry (Eds). Madeira, Portugal. September 30 to October 4. 1998. (Full paper)Fleming, J., Wiersma, C., & Dickson G. (2005). Student Experiences of University based cooperative education: Do they eat in the lunchroom? In R. K. Coll (Ed). Proceedings of the Eighth Annual Conference of the New Zealand Association for Cooperative Education. Palmerston North, New Zealand: New Zealand Association for Cooperative Education. (CD-ROM, Full Paper)Milne, S., Dickson, G., & McElrea, A. (2005). Micro sporting event impacts in regional New Zealand: The SporTRACE project. pp 429-442. In The Impacts of Events: Triple Bottom Line Evaluation and Event Legacies, Australian Centre for Event Management, University of Technology Sydney.Thwaites, D. & Dickson, G. (1998). Conceptual Distinctions between Evenness of Competition, Uncertainty of Outcome and Service Quality. pp.8.13 - 8.18. in the Proceedings of the 6th Congress of the European Association for Sport Management. Service Quality in Sport F. Fernandes and N Perry (Eds).Madeira, Portugal. September 30 to October 4. 1998. (Full paper).
- Dickson, G. (2005) From principals to practice - A view of governance that makes a meaningful difference. SPARC-RST conference, Wellington.
- Dickson, G., & Te Rito, P. (2005). The role of corporate governance in improving Maori sport. Maori Involvement, Development and Advancement in Sport Symposium, Massey University (Palmertson North).
- Dickson, G. (2005). Economic rise; health demise - Lifting the lid on the downstream impacts of major events from an economic, health and social perspective. Eventing the Future Conference, Christchurch.
- Dickson, G., & Milne, S. (2005). ‘Trace’ing the trickle: Small sporting events & local economies. Eventing the Future. Eventing the Future Conference, Christchurch.
- Dickson, G. (2006). Sport, community events and the promotion of social capital. Paper presented to the Victorian Parliament's Outer Suburban/Interface Services and Development Committee.
- Dickson, G. (2007). Creating sustainable competitive advantages: resources, knowledge and research. Paper presented at the Australiasian Spa Association Conference, Sydney, Australia.
- Dickson, G. (2007). Research priorities for the New Zealand events sector. Paper presented at the New Zealand Association of Event Professionals, Auckland.
- Dickson, G. (2008). Creativity, critical thinking and strategic management. Paper presented at the Australasian Spa Association Conference, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Dickson, G. (2008). Creativity, critical thinking and strategic management. Keynote address at the New Zealand YMCA Conference, Auckland.
- Clark, C., & Dickson, G. (2008). Gymsports New Zealand’s Organisational Transformational Plan: The approach, execution, dismount and landing. Leading Change conference, Standing Committee for Sport and Recreation and SPARC. Auckland, New Zealand.
- Dickson, G. (2009). Authentic leadership. Keynote address at the New Zealand YMCA Conference, Auckland.
- View recent blog entries
- Member for
- 9 years 2 months